Brenda (Using a gentler, almost pedagogical, tone of
- Roberto, my friend, stop fooling yourself, open your
eyes, and get real, please. Dear Ophelia is right: it’s
just a matter of time from now on. Within half an hour
at the worst, a couple of hours at the very best, we
shall be history.
(A deep silence follows. The enormity of what was
just said starts to penetrate into each and any of them).
Roberto (looking baffled):
- The fact is: I am not in a mood to die right now…
(Everyone laughs at Roberto’s statement in a
Estelle (Laughing almost hysterically):
- Oh, God, Roberto, you’re gonna make me pee my pants! I
am with you, Big Blue. No way! Dying is not even an
option. WE-DO-NOT-WANT-TO-DIE! (She stands up and
yells, with her two fists up, jumping up and down on the
couch): NO DYING! NO DYING!
Brenda (Facing the four of them from the side):
- Alright, Estelle, you made your point, calm down now,
please. Thanks, my love. (She keeps on talking)
Let’s go one step beyond now, would you? In spite of our
vigorous protests, all of us are in fact convinced deep
inside that we are about to pass away, aren’t we? Well,
there is still one other issue to chew over from that
- I’m wondering what the purpose of this discussion can
be, Brenda. Shouldn’t we just pray together and…
Brenda (cutting him):
- Jefferson, you’re on your way to become a priest, I do
respect your believes, so, pray for the salvation of
each and any of us, but let me do the talking here!
Thank you. (She keeps on addressing all of them):
- HOW DO WE WANT TO DIE? That’s the main question now.
Either we wait for the tower to collapse; as a
consequence, we shall disappear under the rubble. That
certainly won’t do any good to my perm… (She touches
her hair at the same time she is mocking herself).
Ophelia (Lost in her own world):
- ‘Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust’.
- Or we open the office door, and both heat and
smoke thru the fire’s progress will cremate us.
Estelle (Shaking her head):
- I don’t like that idea. I was burnt by boiling
water on my leg when I was ten (She lifts up her
pant and shows the marks on her left leg). The
pain was really excruciating.
- Or one of us could cut other ones’ throats, as
Jews did at Masada in Palestine when they were
vanquished finally by the Romans during the 1st
- I am sure you would enjoy cutting the throat of
your favorite lesbian, wouldn’t you, Roberto?
(They all laugh again at Roberto).
- Seriously, there is one more option: we can jump.