THE UNIVERSITY PRESS OF THE SOUTH
A Prestigious Academic Press Over Four Continents.
1. Is The University Press of the South a prestigious academic press?
- YES, The University Press of the South is a very prestigious academic press, universally respected worldwide, publishing authors from North America; Europe; Africa; Latin America; Asia; and Oceania.
- YES, The University Press of the South has a strict policy of having all manuscripts peer-reviewed by outside readers and members of the Editorial Board. A manuscript needs to get at least two POSITIVE letters of evaluation, in order to be published.
- YES, Our authors are among the very best in their respective academic fields (Members of National Academies, even a Nobel Prize Winner!). They have been granted tenure, promotion, and endowed chairs thanks to our publications. Many have won prizes with a book published by us. The University Press of the South has been THE university press of not one, but many prestigious universities all over the USA, Canada, Europa, Australia and Africa.
2. Is The University Press of the South helping a scholar thru the tenure and promotion process?
- YES, it is. We write a letter to the Dean and the Chairperson of the Tenure and Promotion Committee and we let her know about the letters of evaluation sent that were positive. We do everything possible to help our authors blossoming in their academic career. Many of our authors got tenure with their first book with The University Press of the South, then were promoted to Full Professor with their second book with The University Press of the South.
3. Is The University Press of the South helping authors to get grants?
- YES, The University Press of the South is helping all its authors to get any grant possible that are available out there at the author's university or with institutions. We write a letter to the Dean or Associate Dean of Research or to any other organism. Almost all of our authors had their book sponsored by their university or a Research and Publication Grant Program.
4. Is The University Press of the South supporting an author within her university after her book has been published?
- YES, The University Press of the South contacts all members of the University, from the President to all faculty, to let them know that the author has published her book. We attach the cover art of the book to our message and we invite the author's colleagues to congratulating her thru email, etc. The impact is very important on the author's career. Somebody will remember having received this message and congratulated the author when sitting on the Tenure and Promotion Committee some years later. We also let the University bookstore know about the author's book and we extend a large discount to the bookstore, when ordering the author's book as a course order.
5. If an author does not teach at a Ivy League University, can she still be published by The University Press of the South?
- YES, The University Press of the South does not discriminate because of the university or college where an author teaches. Potential authors do not need to have studied at a major university either to be published by us. Our authors come from the most prestigious universities in the US (Columbia, Harvard, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Brigham Young, Georgetown, Tulane, etc.), and also from state universities, small private colleges, and community colleges.
6. May independent scholars be published by The University Press of the South?
- YES, The University Press of the South knows that not everybody who holds a Ph.D. can get a job at college level, or that some scholars have chosen rewarding careers other than teaching. Independent scholars are welcome to submit their manuscript. It will be evaluated like any other manuscript and chosen on merits only.
7. If an author publishes a book with The University Press of the South, can she publish her next book with another press?
- YES, The University Press of the South respects the fundamental rights of Freedom of Speech and the First Amendment of the US Constitution. There is no legal obligation, as it often happens with other presses, to publish again with The University Press of the South. However, many of our authors are repeated authors because they chose to have their second, third, or fourth book published also by The University Press of the South. That says a lot in terms of confidence in and loyalty toward The University Press of the South. Positive comments by our authors time after time after time show how much they enjoyed having their book(s) published by The University Press of the South.
8. Is The University Press of the South respecting and encouraging diversity?
- YES, The University Press of the South is strongly in favor of equal rights and equal access to publishing, regarless of the author's race, nationality, ethnicity, language, religion, or sexual preferences. We firmly reject any manuscript that is racist, xenophobic, homophobic, or that mocks any religion or creed. As much as academic criticism is healthy and very much welcomed by The University Press of the South, on the contrary hatred, child pornography, pornography, or bigotism, are not and never will be part of our publications.